to compete in a tandem pupparin race down the Grand Canal in Venice.
This was the ninth edition of a "mixed" men-women regata organized by the charity Biri Biri, dedicated to the memory of Ettore Pagan.
They rowed their brown/"marron" boat from the starting line at the Giardini di Castello, up the Grand Canal, arriving at the fish market.
It was not an easy win though.
There were ten boats fighting towards the finish.
According to Nena's account:
the "flying start" has always been complicated.
In this case the orange boat (which was closest to shore)
had the disadvantage.
The offshore vessels immediately gained ground,
thanks also to a more favorable current,
which lead to a chase between four boats:
the canarin (yellow),
reserve (red and green),
and viola (a light violet purple).
As they transitioned from the rough waters of the basin to the entrance of the Grand Canal, it seemed that the order would be canarin, reserve, marron, viola.
Some close calls were observed.
Canarin and reserve got tangled up for a moment.
Lots of jockeying and strategic rowing.
In the end, the first pupparin to cross the line was the marron,
second - viola,
Canarin in third.
Top four finishers
1. Elena Almansi and Giorgio Sabbadin
2. Nausicaa Cimarosto and Riccardo Salviato
3. Luisella Schiavon and Nicolò Schiavon
4. Romina Catanzaro and Marino Almansi
Almansi and Sabbadin with trophies.
Some interesting details:
- Elena Almansi usually competes in tandem with Romina Catanzaro, but because this was a "mixed" event, they ended up on different boats.
- Elena and Giorgio are both members of the
Remiera Canottieri Cannaregio rowing club (colors are black and green).
- Third place finishers were both members of the famous Schiavon family. Luisella has been part of a winning team from many regatas, including Regata Storica.
- While the fourth boat was rowed by Romina Catanzaro (Elena Almansi's partner), the other rower on that boat was Almansi's father.
- Another Row Venice rower, Cristina Montin and her tandem partner Marino Pompeo finished in sixth place.
Judges included the Famous Vittorio Orio and Luisella Marzi - the first female official in this regata.
Congrats to all the finishers in this unique and exciting contest.
To read more, see:
Memorial Ettore Pagan - Regata mista su Pupparini - Com'e andata
and "A remi in Canal Grande". Vincono Giorgio Sabadin ed Elena Almansi